James Schofield studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne, and then left his studies to join the Air Force. James trained as a pilot in Victoria and Tasmania. After graduating with a commission, he was posted to the Middle East where he was trained on Hurricane aircraft. He returned to Australia in 1944 after 32 months of unbroken flying duties.
He then successfully applied for an RAAF post to train test pilots. On completion of this course he secured a position with the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation as a test pilot. In the late 1940’s he embarked on a new career with the Department of Civil Aviation as an Inspector of Accidents and played a key role in raising air safety standards in Australia.
In 1987 he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for public service to the Aviation Industry in Australia and Papua New Guinea.
Other senior positions included Civil Aviation Liaison Officer at the Australian High Commission in London and Regional Director of Aviation for Papua New Guinea. In 1977 James was Deputy Secretary (Air Operations) to the Australian Department of Transport, and on retiring from this position consulted to industry and government.
Schofield House is named after School Council Member, Archdeacon J A Schofield, James’ father.
(1921 – 2005)